Monday, June 28, 2004

Email Bounce from Mayor's Office

Message below came from Toronto Mayor David Miller's office to my mother's email account today, Toronto's municipal election day (Mon June 28, 2004).

Several points worth mentioning:

1)  My mother lives in Markham (completely separate city - not part of Greater Toronto Area).

2)  My mother only uses her email for personal use -- she has never emailed Toronto City Council, and would never do so. Her email is not 'registered' anywhere, with any organization.

3)  Statistically, there is no possible way for the Mayor's Office to come up with my mother's hotmail address.

4)  I myself have never emailed the Mayor or any of the City Councillor's (in case you're thinking the bounce could have resulted from my own activism - ie, my sending an email which my mother might have been cc'd on - nope, never happened.)

5) Although Mayor David Miller represents municipal government, he openly supported several federal candidates in the city's ridings -- all NDP.

4) I also supported NDP. I even sent emails advocating strategic voting (ie, NDP over Green), and predicted the election outcome two weeks before.

5)  Bounced email says my mother contacted Mayor Miller on Sunday June 27, yet she didn't even use email that day.*

6)  The message says my mother emailed the Mayor's Office, and a virus was detected, and it is therefore being *rejected*. Like so many of the unlikely incidents in my life, there's a not-so-subtle innuendo there.

7)  I was staying at my mother's place the day she received the email. She then forwarded it to me cause she knows I'm currently participating in an initiative for more equal representation and participation of women in Toronto's municipal governance.
*Note: I've deleted my mother's email address for privacy reasons.

>From: Mail Delivery Subsystem
>To:
>Subject: Returned mail: see transcript for details
>Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 02:10:01 -0400 (EDT)
>
>The original message was received at Mon, 28 Jun 2004 02:10:01 -0400 (EDT)
>from iduna1-s.inet.toronto.ca [137.15.73.81]
>
> ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
>
> (reason: 550 No such recipient)
>
> ----- Transcript of session follows -----
>... while talking to cotgw504.corp.toronto.ca.:
> >>> RCPT To:
><<< 550 No such recipient >550 5.1.1 ... User unknown
Message/delivery-status

Reporting-MTA: dns; atlas-2-v2.inet.toronto.ca
Received-From-MTA: DNS; iduna1-s.inet.toronto.ca
Arrival-Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 02:10:01 -0400 (EDT)

Final-Recipient: RFC822; councillor_miller@city.toronto.on.ca
Action: failed
Status: 5.1.1
Remote-MTA: DNS; cotgw504.corp.toronto.ca
Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 550 No such recipient
Last-Attempt-Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 02:10:01 -0400 (EDT)



From: XX
To: councillor_miller@city.toronto.on.ca
Subject:
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 18:10:42 -0400


A virus was detected in this email message and has been removed.

The City of Toronto is scanning all email entering the City for viruses.

If you have any questions, please call the Help Desk at 416-338-2255 or email scanmaster@toronto.ca

The following shows the name of the file in which the virus was detected and the name of the virus that was detected.

File name: details_councillor_miller.doc.pif
Virus name: W32/Netsky.p@MM

--
ib

(I had a webpage link to this email bounce, but like so many websites included in my original blog, that page no longer exists.  http://www.web.ca/~apolnet/apolnet-l/msg00516.html  Wish I'd known how to take Screenshots, at that time.)

No comments: